Friday, June 3, 2011

The Interview as Art


1. What was your first work of art and how old were you?
 As far as I can remember I always had something in my hand to draw with.... I clearly remember being aware of my drawings being just scribblings until one day those lines accidentally seemed to resemble a granny profile and oh was I ecstatic for finally "learning" to draw "properly"... I was small.... probably 3 yrs old. 

2. What did you do for fun when you were a teenager?
 Being silly and rebellious... trying this and that... skipping classes with friends if the sun was smiling...
  
3. What and when was your first job?
 In Toronto during my 10th grade... during weekends in "Cultures" in a mall.... selling salads and so....

4. What was your first work that really pleased you as an artist?
 I can't really remember because I am still very pleased with some of my work when I was only 7. I wrote poems and designed fashion garments on a regular basis.

5. Who was the first artist to influence you?
 My mom. I used to sit in her office and watch her draw with rapidographs harbours and many other plans for construction sites and I would imitate her drawings. I was mostly fascinated by little circles of different sizes representing stones. Later I continued using rapidographs in my graphic drawings.

6. Who were your favorite movie stars growing up?
 Oh I grew up on western movies and my favorite was Clint Eastwood :)) Later it was Jerry Lewis, Fred Astair with Ginger, Charlie Chaplin....  mostly comedians and dancers

7. What were your favorite TV shows growing up?
 Muppet show

8. Has your work gone up in price compared to when you first started?
 Definitely, considering that my first sales 20 years ago were almost giveaways... my friends were either laughing or criticizing me for devaluing my own work with such low prices. 

 

9. Where do you get your ideas?
 Mostly from my love for life

10. Who do you think is the best business artist in the world?
 Anyone who is satisfied and happy with his/her own work of art and lives from it
 
11. Do you think that there are any art movements now?
 I don't think that society can be surprised any more as it had been in the past while many new techniques were being developed, discovered and introduced... I think now-days many are trying to RE-develop, RE-discover, RE-introduce old and forgotten techniques and combine with new.... In that context there are many movements...

12. Do you think kids should get grants to decorate subways?
 Yes, if it is coordinated
 
13. Have you or anyone you know been involved in street art?
 No

14. Do you ever think about politics?
 One can think about politics in many ways. I do not get involved, for me it is all a big fat global lie to hold "the sheep" under control, only in such manner do I think about it. Do not like to wear pink glasses.
 
15. What is your favorite color?
 Turquoise blues and greens, but I actually love ALL colors!

16. Do you do all your own work, or do you have people working for you?
 I do my own work but sometimes I dream of having someone by my side to work with.... would love that someone to be any or both of my kids

17. Do you have an interest in films or video?
 Only animated.

18. What kind of toys do you have?
 None, but I used to have lots of teddies of different sorts and sizes until my kids got hold of them :)

19. Do you have any habits you’d like to kick?
 Procrastination and wanting to do everything by myself (call it mission impossible).... I should probably stop wanting for a day to have 48h and start organizing my time accordingly


20. What do you do when you’re not working?
 Spending time with my kids, exploring the truth, from now-on I'll also be in my new garden planting

21. Do you play any games?
 Used to love to play cards, mostly Remi, also love Yamb, now my kids love to play among other games Mikado. Any decent game works for me as long as the players don't take it too seriously.

22. How old were you when you got your driver’s license and is there a story attached to it?
 Don't have one yet, and probably won't have it at all.

23. What time do you go to bed and what time do you get up (most of the time.)
 I am an early bird and no matter how late I go to bed I get up before 9.... mostly between 7 and 8.... sometimes even earlier.

24. How much time do you spend on the computer?
 More then I want to, which I am efficiently changing these days.

25. Do you watch TV, (if so, what are your favorites?)
 Yes I do, and mostly cooking shows. Love Kitchen Nightmares, Bizarre Food, Ultimate Survival with Bear Grylls, NCIS, anything on nature and discoveries.... Not too keen on soaps.

26. What do you eat?
 Oh in my case the question should go like this : What should you eat and what would you like to eat? I have an issue with my health and need to be on a strict diet which I have to admit am not really following these days, but I was and will again. Favorite I love and can eat are SPAGHETTIIIIII!!! or any pasta, grapefruit, cabbage, carrots..... Favorite I love and shouldn't eat are CHOCOLATE and pizza.

27. Do you believe in flying saucers?
 In ones that are made by US military, yes. In aliens' - NO.

28. Do you believe in magic?
 Magic is present, but do I believe if it is good - NO.
   

29. Do you think Lee Harvey Oswald acted alone?
 Lee Harvey Oswald is a name for those who need a name to put a blame upon. Those who wish to find the reason why Kennedy was shot will find another answer.


30. Do you look in the mirror when you get up?
 My real mirror when I wake up is my heart and I seriously wake up every morning with thoughts of how not to repeat the same mistakes from previous days....
I find myself not being able to follow that each day, but I do try.... The other mirror has its practical purpose.
 
31. Do you think the world can be saved?
 If by "world" you mean planet Earth then I think there is nothing humans can do to destroy it in order to have to save it. It has been around much longer than any being and gone through plenty. I believe in God as its creator and protector of all the beauty we see. We all can only reap what we sow.


32. Do you think there should be censorship?
If everyone would grow conscience then there would be no need for censorship. Conscience is the best censorship. Do those who put censorship on others have conscience??

 

4 comments:

  1. I really like that your mom was the first artist to influence you!
    It's been really interesting seeing how we all got to where we are!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, that is cool about your mom. And you have always been an artist. It does show in your work. Very interesting interview!

    ReplyDelete
  3. love ur answer abt Lee Harvey Oswald! beautiful work! : )

    ReplyDelete