Friday, February 4, 2011

Convergence

From Dictionary.com 

con·verge

  
[kuhn-vurj]  Show IPA
verb, -verged, -verg·ing.
–verb (used without object)
1.
to tend to meet in a point or line; incline toward each other,as lines that are not parallel
2.
to tend to a common result, conclusion, etc.
3.
Mathematics .
a.
(of a sequence) to have values eventually arbitrarilyclose to some number; to have a finite limit.
b.
(of an infinite series) to have a finite sum; to have asequence of partial sums that converges.
c.
(of an improper integral) to have a finite value.

I always want to do everything there possibly is to do. Every craft, every technique, every option. I like to experiment. I like to jump from one experiment to another. That's ok, but just experimenting means you never have to finish anything or take the time to have a well-done completed piece. It means I can explain away those rough edges because it's just an experiment, it's not the 'real' piece. But I never usually get to the real piece because I'm usually jumping to the next experiment.

One of my goals for doing TADA was to stop the jumping. To take the time to make a piece and then make a better one and then a better one... it becomes a study, which leads to a series, which leads to some satisfaction. 

I want to take all the techniques and things I've learned and instead of making 20 separate things, I want to combine them, I want them to converge, to incline toward each other, to have a finite value.

This is the first stop along the way. Two forged folded shapes welded onto one of those bands I made before with all the holes, heat patina on the inside of the folds and color pencils on the outside. I've already started working on the next one. I have lots of thoughts on how I want to refine it and where I want it to go. It's starting to feel good.

Do you have a story of convergence with your art? If you do please add it to the comments. I would love to hear how other people are thinking about this.

2 comments:

  1. I'm on the same path with you in TADA. Letting myself explore all possible techniques I can and not let that exploration be left in unfinished pieces but to combine them into one cohesive composition just like you are doing.... you are inspiring me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can relate to everything that you're wrote here. This is my goal too, although I admit I'm feeling a bit lost right now. I need to decide what I want to do most and explore it in depth.

    ReplyDelete